Postpaid International Roaming
What is International Roaming?
International Roaming service allows you to stay in touch with your business, friends and colleagues in 181 countries across 514 world class networks.
With Emtel International Roaming you can travel abroad and still keep your same mobile number. You can make and receive calls, write and send text messages (SMS) or surf the internet and download content.
Emtel informs you that during roaming, the storage, treatment and transfer of your personal data may be subject to legislation different from the legislation in your home country
- No need to change your SIM card
- Enjoy the unique One World One Rate benefit providing you a unified SMS rate at just Rs 14 (inclusive of VAT) across the world.
- Our simple and easy to remember rates when using all the other services offer you peace of mind and total comfort
How to use International Roaming?
|What you can do when you are abroad||How to do it?|
|Calling Mauritius||Dial (country code)(your correspondent’s number) For example, calling 54989898 would be: 0023054989898 or +23054989898|
|Calling within the country you are visiting||Dial 00 or + (country code)(area code)(your correspondent’s number)|
|Calling another country||Dial 00 or + (country code)(area code)(your correspondent’s number)|
|Sending SMS to Mauritius||Write your SMS and send it to: +(country code)(your correspondent’s number) For example, sending an SMS to 54989898 would be: +23054989898|
|Sending SMS to another country||Write your SMS and send it to: +(country code)(your correspondent’s number)|
Click here to view our tariffs.
- How do I get roaming activated on my mobile?
- Postpaid: Roaming Activation for postpaid can be done free of charge provided that:
- Roaming can be activated free of charge for existing customers if you settle your bills via direct debit
- Activation is also free of charge if you have been with Emtel for the last 6 months and you do not have any outstanding bill(s)
- In all other cases a payment of a refundable deposit of Rs 5,000 is required
- Where can I roam?
- Click hereto view list of countries where roaming is possible.
- Will my phone work abroad?
- Most handsets will work anywhere.
Korea & New Zealand – 3G phones only.
USA, Canada & Japan – Triband phones.
- How to check and change SMSC?
- IOS phones
- From home screen, tap Phone.
- If the dial pad is not visible, tap Keypad.
- Enter *#5005*7672#, then tap Call.
- The current SMSC setting is shown on the screen.
- Query if SMSC is +2307200999
- Tap Dismiss (if SMSC is correct)
- To change SMSC, enter **5005*7672*+2307200999#
- Tap Call.
- The message "Setting succeeded, Service Centre Address, No Address" will appear on screen.
- Tap Dismiss.
- Launch SMS application on your phone.
- Go to Menu - Settings – More Settings – Text Messages
- Select ‘Message Centre’.
- Open to edit the message centre number.
- Query if SMSC is +2307200999
- Set it +2307200999 if needed; tap on OK or set.
- What are the roaming rates?
- The world has been divided into 4 zones: refer to the list of countries per zones to check the applicable tariff.
- Roam from as little as Rs 14 / SMS anywhere
- All calls are billed on a per minute basis
- Mobile internet is billed per 10kb
- For each calls received an extra Rs10+VAT is charged for IDD
- All tariff are inclusive of VAT.
Click here to view tariff.
- Can I use my web package on roaming?
- Postpaid: Internet usage on roaming is not included in the WEB package you have subscribed.
- How does Emtel bill for roaming?
- In order for us to bill you for roaming usage, we rely on foreign operators to send us the details of calls, SMS and Internet usage made on their network.
From time to time there can be delays in receiving these details which may result in roaming charges being delayed till your next bill.
- How do I contact Customer Care from abroad?
- To speak to the customer care team please dial +230 5498 9898.
- Is the call to Customer Care free?
- Calls made to Customer Care are billed as call made to Mauritius.
- What if my phone gets lost or stolen?
- In case of theft or loss of your handset, please send us a mail on firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to get your line disconnected or call our Customer Care on +230 5498 9898 for any query.
- Can I use my phone in flight?
- Certain airline allows passengers to use their mobile phone during flights. E.g. Emirates, Virgin, Lufthansa. Usually the crew will inform you about the appropriate moment to use your phone.
- Can I use my phone at sea?
- Emtel cannot guarantee full coverage when you are at sea, cruising, however Emtel has roaming agreement with some maritime providers : E.g. Seanet, Telecom Italia , Simmin.
- Do I need to select a network?
- Your phone should automatically connect to one of the local networks when switched on in a foreign country. If this does not happen, you may have to manually search for a network as follows:
- Go to the Settings menu on your phone
- Choose Phone settings
- Select a network
- Check that network mode is set to 3G
You can only use network of operators with whom Emtel has established roaming agreements.
Note that while you are on roaming, you will see another carrier’s name on your mobile phone screen.
- Things to remember
- Check your roaming service status before you leave.
- Ensure that you have no outstanding payment in order to avoid service interruption while roaming.
- Ensure you have your adaptor so that you can recharge your handset.
- Store your contact in international format in your phonebook for easy dialing E.g. + 230 1234 5678.
- Check your credit limit (Postpaid subscribers) before roaming.
- Please make sure that “Call Barring Outgoing” and “Call Barring Incoming” for international calls are not active so that you can make and receive international calls while roaming.
- Find out what the network frequency is in the country you intend to visit as roaming in different countries may require different GSM standard mobile phones. Please note the following: Roaming in a GSM900/GSM1800 network requires the use of dual band mobile phones.
Roaming in a GSM1900 network requires the use of tri-band mobile phones (USA, Canada & Japan).
Terms and Conditions
Obligations of the subscriber:
- The subscriber agrees to settle all calls and other charges that arise following the activation of the International roaming service.
- Since accounts and claims need to be received from foreign operators, the subscriber acknowledges and agrees that roaming calls may be billed to the subscriber not necessarily in the month the roaming service was used, but even in subsequent months following the activation and use of the roaming service.
- Any deposit made by the subscriber at the time service was activated, shall be retained by Emtel until all roaming usage (Calls, SMS and Web browsing) has been fully paid and all bills relating thereto have been settled. The subscriber agrees that Emtel may net off any unpaid bills against the deposit.
- The release of the deposit shall be made only after all claims for roaming usage (Calls, SMS and Web browsing) have been received, billed and fully settled. Notwithstanding the release of the deposit, the subscriber shall remain obligated to and shall pay all bills received after the release of the deposit.
- Emtel may at its own discretion use the deposit (if any) to settle the subscriber’s account in case of late payment or default payment.
- Limit: Credit Limit or Monthly Limit does not apply on usage (Calls, SMS and Web browsing) made during roaming as roaming usage are not billed immediately as local usage.