Prepaid International Roaming
What is International Roaming?
International Roaming allows you to stay connected with your friends and business in 517 world class networks in 183 countries while travelling the world with your Emtel prepaid number. With roaming, you can use your mobile phone to make and receive voice calls or access other services when travelling outside Mauritius. Emtel informs you that during roaming, the storage, treatment and transfer of your personal data may be subject to legislation different from the legislation in your home country
Benefits of International Roaming
- No hassle of activating the roaming service on your prepaid number since it is activated by default
- Keep your number while on roaming and communicate easily. You will be just a phone call away from your friends and relatives!
- Enjoy the unique One World One Rate benefit with a unified SMS rate at just Rs 14 (inclusive of VAT) across the world.
- Our simple and easy to remember rates when using all the other services offer you peace of mind and total comfort.
How to use the roaming service?
|What you can do when you are abroad||How to do it|
|Calling Mauritius||Dial *123*00(country code) (your correspondent’s number)# For example, calling 54989898 would be: *123*0023054989898#|
|Calling within the country
you are visiting
|Dial *123*00(country code) (your correspondent’s number)#|
|Calling another country||Dial *123*00(country code) (your correspondent’s number)#|
|Sending SMS to Mauritius||Sending SMS to Mauritius +(country code)(your correspondent’s number)For example, sending an SMS to 54989898 would be: +23054989898|
|Sending SMS to another country||Write your SMS and send it to: +(country code)(your correspondent’s number)|
|Balance Enquiry||Dial *122#|
|Recharging your number with a prepaid card||Dial *121*(card’s number)#|
Note: If you are using Direct Calling, do not include *123* in front of the country code
Where are you travelling?
To check our simple and competitive tariffs, just select the country you are visiting in table 1 below (list of countries per zone) and check the tariffs in table 2.
Table 1: List of Countries per Zone
|Africa||Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cap Verde, Central Africa, Congo DRC, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tchad, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.|
|Asia & Rest of World||Afghanistan, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Bermuda, Bolivia, Bosnia, Brazil, British Virgin Is., Cambodia, Canada, Cayman Is., Chile, China, Columbia, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Rep., Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Polynesia, French West Indies, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos,Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Martinique, Mexico, Mongolia, Montenegro, Myanmar, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinee, Paraguay, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Qatar, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, St. Barthelemy, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & Grenadines, Surinam, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Turkmenistan, Turks & Caicos, Tuvalu, UAE, Ukraine, US Virgin Is., USA,Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen.|
|Europe||Albania, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, , Netherlands, Netherlands Antilles, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UK,|
|Indian Ocean||Comoros, Madagascar, Reunion, Mayotte, Seychelles, South Africa|
Table 2: Tariffs
|HOME (call to Mauritius)||LOCAL (Call in visited country)||OTHER (Call to other destinations)||Incoming Calls||SMS||Mobile Internet (Data)|
|Asia & Rest of the World||94||48||114||39||14||4.8|
- Outgoing and Incoming calls are billed per minute
- Rs 10 + VAT per min will be added to all incoming calls
- Video Call is billed as Voice
NB: All information above is correct. We do our best to ensure that charges shown here are always up to date; however, roaming tariffs are subject to change at any time. This may result in different rates being applied to your International Roaming calls at time of billing. Subscribers roaming on extended coverage provided by some operators outside their home country will be charged according to the zone of the home country.
Tariffs of International Roaming
Click here to view our tariffs.
Questions and Answers
- How do I get roaming activated on my mobile?
- Activation has never been so simple since the roaming service is already activated by default on your number!
- In which countries can I roam?
- Check out our roaming partners by clicking here.
- Can I use my mobile phone abroad?
- Most mobile phones will work anywhere. However, the following countries require different phone models:
- Only 3G phones work in Korea & New Zealand
- Only Triband phones work in USA, Canada & Japan
- How to check and change SMSC?
- IOS phones
- From home screen, tap Phone.
- If the dial pad is not visible, tap Keypad.
- Enter *#5005*7672#, then tap Call.
- The current SMSC setting is shown on the screen.
- Query if SMSC is +2307200999
- Tap Dismiss (if SMSC is correct)
- To change SMSC, enter **5005*7672*+2307200999#
- Tap Call.
- The message "Setting succeeded, Service Centre Address, No Address" will appear on screen.
- Tap Dismiss.
- Launch SMS application on your phone.
- Go to Menu - Settings – More Settings – Text Messages
- Select ‘Message Centre’.
- Open to edit the message centre number.
- Query if SMSC is +2307200999
- Set it +2307200999 if needed; tap on OK or set.
- What are the roaming rates?
- The world has been divided into 4 zones: refer to the list of countries per zones to check the applicable tariff.
- Roam from as little as Rs 14 per SMS anywhere.
- All calls are billed on a per minute basis.
- Mobile internet is billed per 10kb.
- For each call received, an extra Rs10+VAT is charged for IDD.
- All tariffs are inclusive of VAT. Click here to view our tariffs.
- How does Emtel bill us for roaming?
- Billing is done online (as and when used) while you are using the prepaid roaming service.
- What if my phone gets lost or stolen?
- If your phone is lost or stolen when you are abroad, please send us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to get your line disconnected or call our Customer Care team on +230 5498 9898 for any query.
- Can I use my web package on roaming?
- Prepaid mobile internet will be available upon launch of the service.
- Can I use my phone in flight?
- Certain airline allows passengers to use their mobile phone during flights. E.g. Emirates, Virgin, Lufthansa. Usually the crew will inform you about the appropriate moment to use your phone.
- Can I use my phone at sea?
- Emtel cannot guarantee full coverage when you are at sea, cruising. However Emtel has roaming agreement with some maritime providers: E.g. Seanet, Telecom Italia and Simmin.
- Do I need to select a network?
- Your phone should automatically connect to one of the local networks when switched on in a foreign country. If this does not happen, you may have to manually search for a network as follows: 1. Go to the Settings menu on your phone 2. Choose Phone settings 3. Select a network You can only use network of operators with whom Emtel has established roaming agreements 4. Check that network mode is set to 3G.
Note that while you are on roaming, you will see another carrier’s name on your mobile phone screen.
- How I can recharge my mobile number while on roaming?
- You can bring along with you your Emtel prepaid scratch cards to recharge your mobile while on roaming. You may also ask your friends or relatives to do an electronic transfer (E-Pin) from Mauritius to your number.
- Things to remember
- Ensure you have your adaptor so that you can recharge your mobile phone.
- Store your contact in international format in your phonebook for easy dialing E.g. + 23054989898.
- Ensure that you have enough balance when roaming.
- Roaming in different countries may require different GSM standard mobile phones. Find out what the network frequency is the country you intend to visit is using. Please note the following:
Roaming in a GSM900/GSM1800 network requires the use of dual band mobile phones. – Roaming in a GSM1900 network requires the use of tri-band mobile phones (USA, Canada & Japan).
- How do I contact Customer Care from abroad?
- To speak to the Customer Care team please dial 8970. Calls made to Customer Care will be charged as your roaming rate for calling Mauritius.