What is Protection Famille?
Protection Famille is a micro life insurance service provided by Island Life Assurance to EMTEL customers. This service is offered to both our prepaid and individual postpaid customers, aged between 18 and 59.
The service is FREE. Based on your usage each month, you get FREE life insurance cover for one month.
The coverage works as follows:
|Monthly Airtime Usage||Insurance cover(Prepaid)||Insurance cover(Postpaid)|
|Rs 150 – Rs 299||Rs 3,500||Nil|
|Rs 300 – Rs 499||Rs 7,500||Rs 10,000|
|Rs 500 – Rs 999||Rs 15,000||Rs 25,000|
|Rs 1000 – Rs 4999||Rs 25,000||Rs 40,000|
|> Rs 5000||Rs 40,000||Rs 60,000|
Airtime usage/spent includes calls, SMS, ILD, roaming and data packages.
- Usage means credit spent on calls, SMS, mobile internet, calls abroad, roaming services.
- You get an SMS at the beginning of each month informing you about your insurance cover, once you are registered.
Benefits of Protection Famile
- FREE life insurance.
- Claims are processed within 2 working days.
- Benefit of up to Rs 60,000 depending on your usage.
How to use
- Protection Famille is available to all Prepaid and Individual Postpaid customers aged from 18-59.
- To register, you can walk into any Emtel showroom or register with our mobile agents.
- To register, you need to provide details including your NID number, beneficiary details including your relationship with beneficiary.
- Based on your usage each month, you get FREE life insurance cover for one month.
- For claims, contact Island Life on 5494 6900
This service is FREE.
1. General Questions
- What is Life Insurance and why is it good to have a Life Insurance policy?
- A life insurance policy promises to pay a designated beneficiary a sum of money when the insured person passes away. Insurance policy is like a safety net in time of need. It helps the family cover costs that occur if the insured relative passes away.
- How does Protection Famille work?
- If a customer passes away, the insurance policy will pay the designated beneficiary a sum of money based on his/her insurance coverage level.
2. Fees, Coverage levels and Terms & Conditions
- Who is covered by the insurance policy?
- The life insurance policy covers Emtel pre-paid subscribers and individual post-paid who register for Emtel insurance. The person covered by insurance must be between 18-59 years old and have his SIM registered under his name.
- How much do I pay for the insurance policy?
- You don’t pay anything for the insurance policy; it is offered to you for free as long as you spend a minimum amount of airtime (calls, SMS, roaming, ILD, data packages) with Emtel.
- Why is Emtel offering a free insurance product? Can I trust it?
- This is Emtel’s way of rewarding its loyal customers. It also gives our customers one more reason to stay on our network. Since Emtel pays insurance premium on the customer’s behalf, it is in Emtel’s interest to see that valid insurance claims get paid to beneficiaries. Rest assured you can trust insurance from Emtel.
- How much coverage does the life insurance policy provide?
- The insurance cover depends on how much airtime you spend with Emtel; if you spend more you get more cover. The cover level is renewed every month and is not cumulative i.e. the cover is based on how much airtime you spent in the previous month for prepaid customers/the cover is based on how much airtime you spent two months ago and that you paid your bill for individual postpaid customers*.
Monthly Airtime Usage Insurance cover Rs 150 – Rs 299 Rs 3,500 Rs 300 – Rs 499 Rs 7,500 Rs 500 – Rs 999 Rs 15,000 Rs 1000 – Rs 4999 Rs 25,000 >Rs 5000 Rs 40,000Example Bill amount Insurance cover Rs 300 – Rs 499 Rs 10,000 Rs 500 – Rs 999 Rs 25,000 Rs 500 – Rs 999 Rs 15,000 Rs 1000 – Rs 4999 Rs 40,000 >Rs 5000 Rs 60,000
I am a prepaid customer. I have registered for the FREE benefit.
- I spend Rs 689 in November. My life insurance cover for December is Rs 15,000.
- I spend Rs 341 in December. My life insurance cover for January is Rs 7,500.
- I spend Rs 1,034 in January. My life insurance cover for February is Rs 25,000.
- I spend Rs 1,687 in November. My life insurance cover for January will be Rs 40,000, provided I pay my November bill on time.
- I spend Rs 699 in December. My life insurance cover for February will be Rs 25,000, provided I pay my December bill on time.
- I spend Rs342 in January. My life insurance cover for March will be Rs 10,000, provided I pay my January bill on time.
- Are there any limits on the insurance coverage levels?
- The maximum insurance cover per SIM for prepaid customers is Rs 40,000 and Rs 60,000 for individual postpaid. If a customer has multiple SIMs, the maximum amount payable will be Rs 300,000 for prepaid and postpaid customers.
- How do I know what insurance cover I have?
- You will receive an SMS message informing you about the cover level you will have for the coming calendar month. This SMS is sent on a monthly basis (As from the first few days of the month).
- How can I read about Emtel insurance policy terms and conditions?
- You can read the Terms and Conditions or you can collect a brochure from any of our stores.
- Who can register for the insurance policy?
- Any Emtel prepaid subscriber or an individual postpaid:
- between 18 – 59 years old
- Who is Mauritian or has Mauritian residency or student residency.
However, when the subscriber leaves the country permanently, he will bow be eligible to insurance by Protection Famille anymore.
- How can I register for the insurance policy?
- Visit any Emtel Showroom to register for Protection Famille.
- If I register for this policy, who can I choose as my beneficiary?
- The chosen beneficiary should be next of kin, namely one of the following:
- What information do I need to provide at the time of registration?
- The following information needs to be specified at the time of registration:
- Your Emtel phone number
- Your name
- Your NIC
- Your age
- Your relationship with beneficiary
- Beneficiary’s name
- Beneficiary ‘s age
- Your Declaration of Good Health
- Your signature
- Can a foreigner register for the product?
- Yes, if a foreigner is a resident in the country, he can register to Protection Famille. However, when the foreigner leaves the country permanently, his insurance will no longer be valid. Foreigner with a tourist visa cannot register to Protection Famille.
- How many beneficiaries can I have?
- You can only have one beneficiary, aged over 18.
- Can my beneficiary be under 18?
- Yes, when filling in the registration form with beneficiary as minor, then an appointee/guardian needs to elected.
- When can my beneficiary claim money?
- Money can be claimed, if the insured person passes away in a month that the subscriber has insurance cover. However, there are exclusions, meaning that some causes of death do not result in claim payment. These causes of death are:
- Any illness or disability or any condition pre-existing or preceding the effective date of the coverage; or
- The condition of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), or any AIDS related illness or HIV virus; or
- Suicide while sane or insane; or
- Any Psychiatric, mental or nervous disorder; or
- Exposure of the body, voluntarily or not, to nuclear power or radioactivity in war or warlike operations or in peace; or
- The commission of or attempted commission of an assault or any unlawful act, or being engaged in any illegal activity or felony.
- Encephalopathy (dementia), and HIV (Human Immune Deficiency Virus) Wasting Syndrome.
- How can my beneficiary claim money?
- For claims the beneficiary should call the ILA on 5494 6900. The customer will receive all detailed information regarding the claims process when he calls this number.
- What are the documents required to make a claim?
- Death certificate
- Cause of death certificate
- ID of subscriber and beneficiary
- Any other documents deemed necessary by Island Life Assurance.
- Is there a timeframe during which the insurance claim can be filed?
- Insurance claim must be filed within 180 days from the day of subscriber’s death.
- How and when is claimed money paid to the beneficiary?
- The claim is processed within 2 working days (does not include weekends and public holidays). Payment is made by cheque or direct debit to the beneficiary after all claim documents are handed in according to instructions.
- How will the payment be done?
- The payment will be carried out by cheque or direct debit.
- What if my beneficiary is abroad? Can he still benefit?
- Yes, payment will be effected by cheque to the beneficiary, even if he is abroad.
5. Changing your details or cancelling your registration
- If the customer has a question related to registration such as changing details or cancellation?
- Visit an Emtel Store with a Protection Famille Agent. Please see below for a list of stores with a Protection Famille Agent.
- Riche Terre
- Port Louis
- Quatre Bornes
- How can I change my beneficiary?
- Visit an Emtel store to change the details of your beneficiary.
6. Checking airtime, insurance cover or claims status.
- If you have a question related to current status of your claim application?
- Kindly call the ILA on 5494 6900.
- If I want to check my airtime used, what do I need to do?
- You need to call Emtel Customer Care on 498 9898 or visit a showroom. We will require your phone number and name. (Showroom staff or customer care to check on ability, go on customer care, search for the account by using MSISDN, for postpaid check ‘Balance Information’ on menu, for prepaid click on ‘Balance Details Janus’ on the menu on the right)
- If I want to check my insurance cover, what do I need to do?
- Kindly contact a Protection Famille agent at the following stores: (Staff to contact Nadeem Jeetun/Commercial Analyst or Harshet Lunani/PM)
7. Non-receipt of SMS
- What if I haven’t received my registration, notification or insurance cover SMS?
- You should contact a Protection Famille agent at Emtel showrooms or any Emtel staff in the showroom.
- If I want to complain about the registration or notification service, what do I do?
- Contact any Emtel store or call us on the 5498 9898 to make a complaint.
- If I want to complain about the claims process, what do I do?
- Kindly call the ILA on 5494 6900.
9. Other Devices
- If I have a dongle, do I get insurance cover?
- Yes. If you have a prepaid or postpaid dongle, you will be eligible to insurance cover.
- If I have a home and office, do I get insurance cover?
- Yes. If you have a home and office, you will be eligible to insurance cover.
10. Treatment of VAT
- Is VAT included in my airtime usage calculation if I am a prepaid customer?
- No, we do not include VAT in your usage.
- Is VAT included in my usage if I am an individual postpaid customer?
- No, we do not count VAT as usage in your bill.
- Is VAT for my access fee included in my usage?
- No, VAT is not considered as usage but your access fee is considered as usage.
- What do you mean by good health?
- Good health means that you are not suffering from any illness requiring treatment for more than a week. You will be required to fill in a declaration of good health statement before registering for the service.
- If I am not in good health, can I still register?
- Yes, you can still register but this does not guarantee that you will be covered for insurance. It will then depend on the policy of Island Life Assurance.
- Does an Easy Transfer received add to my airtime spent amount?
- Yes, provided that you use the easy transfer amount so that it adds to your airtime spent
- Does an Easy Transfer sent add to my airtime spent amount?
- No, Easy Transfer sent will be used by another user who will benefit from the increased airtime.
- If I have two Emtel SIMs, can I get two insurance covers?
- Yes, in the case where you have two Emtel SIMs, you are entitled to two insurance covers, provided you spend more than the minimum amount (Rs 150) on both SIMs. You will have to register twice. You can register as many SIMs as you want, but the maximum insurance cover that you will receive is Rs 300,000.
- If I already have life assurance, can I still benefit from this service?
- Yes, you can still benefit from Protection Famille.
- Is my coverage accumulative?
- No, your coverage is not cumulative.
- If I am a corporate post-paid customer, can I benefit?
- This service is only offered to individual post-paid customers and to our prepaid customers.
- What is my benefit if my account is both a prepaid and postpaid account (hybrid)?
- You will benefit from the postpaid insurance cover and your prepaid usage will be added to your postpaid bill to calculate your insurance cover.
- Can a hybrid customer benefit from a prepaid insurance cover?
- Why can’t I register if I am younger than 18?
- Unfortunately, your sim card is not under your name. When you turn 18, you can transfer the account under your name and register for Protection Famille.
- Why can’t I register if I am older than 59?
- The insurance cover set out by the ILA covers you up to when you are 59 years old. If you want to discuss the matter further, kindly contact the ILA on 5494 6900.
- What does usage/airtime spent mean?
- Usage refers to calls, SMS, roaming, ILD(international long distance), data packages, access fees(for individual postpaid). Usage means anything that uses airtime. It therefore also includes airtime spent on all value added services such as Emtel SOS, Caller Tunes, Missed Called Alert.
- What do I do if my sim has been reallocated and I receive the Emtel FamilyCare service without having subscribed for it?
- Please contact customer care on 498 9898 or visit an Emtel store as soon as possible.
- Can I get insurance cover if there is a dispute on my prepaid account?
- As long as you are paying your latest bill on time and the dispute is not resolved, you will receive the life insurance benefit. If the dispute has been resolved and you have been requested to pay your amount due on the dispute, you will not receive insurance cover until you have paid the total amount due and your latest bill on time.
Download the Application Form
Terms and conditions?
The term and conditions are set as per standard practice of Island Life Assurance Ltd. They are as follows:
Registration will be valid once the subscriber has received a confirmation SMS after signing the registration form.
The insurance cover starts as soon as the subscriber receives the notification SMS form EMTEL at the beginning of each month, after registration is confirmed.
- Period of Insurance
The amount of insurance shall be valid when the subscriber receives the notification SMS at the beginning of the month from EMTEL, for the period beginning 1st day of the month till the end of the same month.
- Post-Paid Customers
Post-Paid customers will be eligible for insurance based on their usage of two months prior and only if they owe only their current bill.
- Change of Beneficiary
The subscriber shall have the right to define or change a beneficiary. The subscriber should visit an Emtel store to do the needful.
- Death of Beneficiary
In the event of death of the beneficiary before the subscriber, it is the subscriber’s responsibility to change his/her beneficiary details.
- Beneficiary under 18 years of age
At the time of the insurance claim, should the beneficiary be under 18 years of age, the legal guardian as chosen by law, shall be the rightful claimant of the insurance cover.
- Statement of name, NIC and age
No claim shall be admitted if name, NIC or age of the subscriber has been mis-stated.
No claim shall be admitted if death arises out of a breach of law and breach of contract.
Insurance cover shall terminate on the earlier of A) The subscriber attaining the age of 60 B) Death of the subscriber C) Termination of the subscriber D) Non-receipt of SMS from Emtel E) Any other circumstance agreed by Emtel and Island Life Assurance Co. Ltd.
- Amount of Insurance Cover
Emtel Ltd and Island Life Assurance Co. Ltd reserve the right to change the amount of insurance cover per category of airtime spent, to be applicable as from the following month.
- Deaths not covered
This Life Insurance does not cover claims made for deaths caused by to the following circumstances:
- -Any illness or disability or any condition pre-existing or preceding the effective date of the coverage; or
- -The condition of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS), or any AIDS related illness or HIV virus; or
- -Suicide while sane or insane; or
- -Any Psychiatric, mental or nervous disorder; or
- -Exposure of the body, voluntarily or not, to nuclear power or radioactivity in war or warlike operations or in peace; or
- -The commission of or attempted commission of an assault or any unlawful act, or being engaged in any illegal activity or felony. Encephalopathy,(dementia), and HIV (Human Immune Deficiency Virus)Wasting Syndrome.
- Money can be claimed up to a maximum of 180 days after the subscriber has passed away.
For claims the beneficiary should call the ILA on 5494 6900. The customer will receive all detailed information regarding the claims process when he calls this number.
- Documents required to make a claim:
- -Death certificate
- -Cause of death certificate
- -ID of subscriber and beneficiary
- -Any other documents deemed necessary by Island Life Assurance
- SMS Confirmation
Upon registration and every month onwards,an sms shall be sent by an outsourced service provider based in India.